Leaking planter box or garden bed?
Planter boxes are a common and popular addition to most property types including industrial premises, commercial offices, shopping centres, strata buildings and residential homes. They’re the perfect solution that brings a slice of nature into our homes and workspaces.
Planter boxes and internal gardens (with or without retaining walls) can bring natural greenery into a lifeless office building or shopping centre, add colour and texture to the external facade of a drab building or provide a living oasis or place to grow food on a balcony or courtyard. The list is endless really…
Best of all, planter boxes and raised garden beds can be built to just about any size or shape, making them a cohesive addition to a building or structure.
By their design, planter boxes and raised garden beds require water to keep their inhabitants (i.e. plants) alive, happy and healthy. That’s why it’s imperative these structures are waterproofed correctly to ensure water doesn’t leak or penetrate into areas of the building where it shouldn’t be. Unfortunately, even minor water leak and penetration issues from planter boxes or raised garden beds can cause major problems if left unchecked. In fact, waterproofing failure of planter boxes and raised gardens is one of the most common problems we encounter.
Problems caused by leaking planter boxes and garden beds
Planter box waterproofing can fail at any time. In some cases, the planter box or garden bed hasn’t been adequately or correctly waterproofed when it was built or, over time, the original waterproofing membrane fails and problems start to occur down the track.
The repercussions of these problems can range in severity from minor inconveniences issues such as staining or discolouration of tiles and pavers, to issues that cause severe damage to a building’s structural integrity. That’s why it’s imperative waterproofing is done correctly from the outset and, over time, checked to ensure it remains intact and continues to do its job.
Waterproofing planter boxes and rooftop gardens
When waterproofing planter boxes and garden beds, there are several steps that are imperative.
- Ideally, the preferred construction of planter boxes is poured concrete because it’s more impervious to water penetration and easier to waterproof;
- All concrete, brickwork or timber should be cleaned to ensure there is no dust or other contaminants that may impede the waterproofing membrane;
- All cracks and corner joins are repaired and sealed to prevent water from escaping or the membrane from failing;
- If the planter box or garden bed is being installed or built on a level concrete slab, the bottom of the box should be given adequate ‘fall’ so water flows to the drain and doesn’t sit within the box;
- To protect garden tools from damaging the waterproofing membrane, we add a form of banner or board to the inside of the planter box or garden bed.
Drip Dry Shower Repairs and Waterproofing offers a fast, reliable and affordable service that stops leaking showers and wet area waterproofing problems in their tracks.
We are fully licensed waterproofing professionals who specialise in the repair and waterproofing of showers, baths and all wet areas around the home including bathrooms, laundries and kitchens. Additionally, we offer a complete shower restoration service that includes removing existing tiles, waterproofing and retiling the area leaving your shower looking as good as new.
In the vast majority of cases, we can fix your leaking shower without removing any tiles. This can save you hundreds, even thousands of dollars, as you don’t have to replace any tiles. It also ensures you’re back enjoying trouble-free showering quickly.
We use only quality materials and our workmanship exceeds the Australian Standard requirements. Over the past 25+ years, we have built a solid reputation based on excellent quality and exceptional service. In fact, we are so confident in our shower leak repairs and waterproofing services that we offer a 15 year guarantee.
- legislation and industry requirements.
- verified ABN and trading names with ASIC.
- validated insurances and licences.
- safety, environment, organisational and financial management systems.
- Strata and Real Estate listing agencies who monitor and ensure contractors have the right safety systems, qualifications and insurances to work on your sites and projects.
- licensed to issue waterproofing certificates
GET IN TOUCH
For fast shower leak fixes, waterproofing and tile repairs, get in touch with our friendly team. We’re here to help 24/7.