Shower over bath resealing and retiling on Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
In bathrooms where the shower is located over the bath, adequate waterproofing is paramount as water is not just contained to the tub.
The original bathroom in this Frenchs Forest home on Sydney’s Northern Beaches had failed and water had started leaking behind into the wall cavity.
For obvious reasons, a shower over the bath means more water is splashing around than a traditional bath where water tends to be contained in the tub.
Additionally, water can get caught and sit in areas between the bath rim and tiles, weeping through into the wall cavity. That’s why it’s paramount that all areas where the bath rim meets the wall tiles is watertight and does not fail.
The owner was made aware of the problem due to a musty smell and, upon further inspection, noticed water damage beneath the bathroom floor when viewed from under the house.
To repair the leaking bath, we removed all silicone and the tiles around the bath. The water damaged Gyprock behind the tiles was removed and replaced. A waterproofing membrane was applied and the tiles reinstated. The property owner can now shower with confidence knowing that water will no longer penetrate into the wall cavity.
Signs you may have a waterproofing problem
- Smell : If you can smell mildew then this is usually due to dampness caused by a leak and is rotting timber and wall materials.
- Walls : Water damage can cause the wall material to swell and contract causing walls to warp.
- Skirting boards : Swollen skirting boards are a typical sign that water is penetrating behind the wall. You may also notice skirting board paint peeling or discolouring.
- Stains : Water damage will create visible stains on walls.
- Bubbling paint : Moisture commonly causes paint to bubble as the water prevents the paint from adhering to the wall.
- Tile grout : Tile grout may become crumbly and disintegrate due to constant moisture. Due to this, tiles may even start coming off the walls.
- Doors : Water causes timber to swell and contract. You may notice doors become stuck and are harder to open and close.
- Silicone : Silicon products used to “plug” gaps, seal joints and repair cracks are usually only a temporary fix. Deteriorating or mouldy silicone can be a sign that your shower is leaking.
GET IN TOUCH
For fast bathroom waterproofing and tile repairs, get in touch with our friendly team. We’re here to help 24/7.
Drip Dry Shower Repairs and Waterproofing offers a fast, reliable and affordable service that stops leaking showers and wet area waterproofing problems in their tracks.
We are fully licensed waterproofing professionals who specialise in the repair and waterproofing of showers, baths and all wet areas around the home including bathrooms, laundries and kitchens. Additionally, we offer a complete shower restoration service that includes removing existing tiles, waterproofing and retiling the area leaving your shower looking as good as new.
In the vast majority of cases, we can fix your leaking shower without removing any tiles. This can save you hundreds, even thousands of dollars, as you don’t have to replace any tiles. It also ensures you’re back enjoying trouble-free showering quickly.
We use only quality materials and our workmanship exceeds the Australian Standard requirements. Over the past 25+ years, we have built a solid reputation based on excellent quality and exceptional service. In fact, we are so confident in our shower leak repairs and waterproofing services that we lead the way with the first no leak lifetime guarantee.
- legislation and industry requirements.
- verified ABN and trading names with ASIC.
- validated insurances and licences.
- safety, environment, organisational and financial management systems.
- Strata and Real Estate listing agencies who monitor and ensure contractors have the right safety systems, qualifications and insurances to work on your sites and projects.
GET IN TOUCH
For fast shower leak fixes, waterproofing and tile repairs, get in touch with our friendly team. We’re here to help 24/7.